BLFGT! Nope – not a curse word – just the abbreviation for this scrumptious sandwich of Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomatoes which I was served at Jestine’s, a local institution.
Jestine’s recipe takes the traditional BLT, which is layered with crisp bacon, cold tomatoes, fresh lettuce and creamy mayonnaise, and substitutes the cold tomatoes with warm fried green tomatoes. The warmth and touch of tartness from the FGT changes the whole character of the sandwich – talk about making your own recipe…
While both the original and Jestine’s version are pretty damn good, I can’t help but think about how I might make my own recipe. How about I:
Vary my meat?
- Turkey bacon, pancetta, ham, canadian bacon or even soy bacon would all work.
Flavor my mayonnaise?
- Fresh herbs such as thyme and basil would add subtle flavor.
- Spicy elements like chipotle or sriracha would heat things up.
- A touch of sweetness from BBQ sauce or ketchup would contrast nicely with the salty bacon.
- Cheese, avocado, cucumbers and even peanut butter and bananas (a la Elvis) would add creaminess and be delicious.
What do you think? How might you make your own recipe?